Wiccan Ceremony - Magic - and where it all started.

Discussions into the history as well as the ceremonies involved in the practice of wiccan magic!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series) (Paperback)

Paperback: 318 pages
Dimensions: 9.0 x 6.0 x 0.9 inches
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications; 1st ed edition (October 1, 1984)
Average Customer Review: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars -based on 95 reviews.

Reviews

Comprehensive & Essential, January 22, 2000
Reviewer: "drago-merlin" (Singapore)


It does seem that one don't normally need to review the priceless works of the late sage, Scott Cunningham. His knowledge and gift to the Wiccan community is legendary. This book, like one of our learned reviewer mentioned, "is a BILBLE reference". It contains almost all imaginable herbs and their corresponding influences to assist in a successful magickal working. I have read many herbal books that claim to be complete and must have..blah blah...but nothing really comes close to this one. It's not that one has to pay alot of money in order to obtain knowledge but these days on the book front, you start to wonder if the writers and publishers of some expensive books on herbal lore should read up more before flooding the market with dubious contributions. You can tell when you have picked up a great book. With Scott Cunningham, he's never short on sharing everything useful he knows and my my, this man really really knows alot. Go get it!

A Reference for us modern witches, February 14, 2002
Reviewer: "fragileice" (White Plains, New York United States)


Scott Cunningham, in his time, turned out quite a few books and references for the modern, 'practical' witch. Though many of the herbs listed seem arcane- when I bought this book it was the first time I had heard of herbs like eryngo and life-everlasting- this reference is well done.
The herbs are organized alphabetically, and black and white drawings of the plant or flower are to the side of each entry, which typically includes the scientific (Latin) name, health codes (such as G for safe, and a guide is included in the book for all of the codes), any folk names, its attributed gender, planet, element, and deities, followed by brief (or sometimes long) descriptions of ritual and magical uses.
After the listings of herbs, there are lists of categories, under which are listed what herbs fit that area- such as masculine plants, herbs that correspond to certain ritual intentions, and elementary rulers. Also included are an index, a glossary, and a mail order list for those who do not have an herb store nearby (and it's hard to find something like mandrake in your local grocery store!).
Granted, this book is not the be-all and end-all of herbal studies. I recommend finding yourself at least three good sources and using them together when using herbs.

Necessary Resource Book, January 26, 2005
Reviewer: Fiendish Dramaturgy "ELSWET.COM"


While not exhaustive, this is a definite "must have" for anyone learning the arts of Herbalism/Herbology. While all herbs, fruits, and fungi are not named, this is quite the definitive work, as of this writing.

Scott Cunningham had a good grasp of the concepts and finer points of Wicca and the various arts with which it is associated. While not all Magick Users endorse the Llewellyn's Resource Series, I, for One, do.

This book in particular, is an excellent springboard and/or supplemental for any path, any pantheon, with illustrations, magickal uses, history, practical uses, and associations listed, given, and chronicled. The tables in the back, I have found, are completely indispensable.

I highly recommend this work.

one of my fav books of all times, February 19, 2005
Reviewer: Jasmina Malnar (Zagreb Croatia)

if you want to learn about wicca/magick and do some kitchen witchcraft to create more love, health and abundance for yourself and your family, there are three books i would absolutely recommend: Cunnningham's book on gems and metals, this one on magical herbs, and Silver Ravenwolf's solitary witch. Three books i always have by my side..

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)

16 Comments:

  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Hi engress, Thanks for the post, Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. I found it interesting. I was searching for information about natural healing. Even though it's not quite what I was looking for, I appreciate your sharing. natural healing Deb

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Hi engress, Thanks for the post, Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. I found it interesting. I was searching for information about natural remedies. Even though it's not quite what I was looking for, I appreciate your sharing. natural remedies Deb

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger David said…

    Hi engress, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on rocking horse in uk wood working I somehow ended up on your page. As your Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
    stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about rocking horse in uk wood working, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger David said…

    Hi engress...Wow! While I was searching for info on wood working bed plan I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working bed plan. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about wood working bed plan.

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger David said…

    Hi engress, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working technique I somehow ended up on your page. As your Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working technique, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Dale said…

    Hi engress, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on rocking horse in uk wood working, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about rocking horse in uk wood working.

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Dale said…

    Hi engress...Wow! While I was searching for info on rocking horse in uk wood working I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for rocking horse in uk wood working. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about rocking horse in uk wood working.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Hi engress, Thanks for the post, Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. I found it interesting. I was searching for information about herbs. Even though it's not quite what I was looking for, I appreciate your sharing. herbs Deb

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Blogger Barton said…

    This site gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other great Las Vegas stuff including info about tony and tina’s wedding tickets Check it out tony and tina’s wedding tickets

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger D.C. Bowns said…

    Hi engress, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working technique, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wood working technique.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Hi engress, I am researching natural remedies (and related subjects) and came across your post, Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. You probably know how easy it can be to get sidetracked online! Just wanted to say that I found your blog quite interesting and wanted to wish you all the best. Thanks! Deb http://www.herbsandnaturalremedies.com

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger D.C. Bowns said…

    Hi engress, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on wood working band saw when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working band saw. I am going to
    bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about wood working band saw at the site above.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger D.C. Bowns said…

    Hi engress, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on pattern santas wood working when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for pattern santas wood working. I am going to
    bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about pattern santas wood working at the site above.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger D.C. Bowns said…

    Hi there engress, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on pattern santas wood working I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for pattern santas wood working. Should the need ever arise where you need information on pattern santas wood working then drop by for a look.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger D.C. Bowns said…

    Hi engress, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on wood working bed plan when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working bed plan. I am going to
    bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about wood working bed plan at the site above.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger David said…

    Hi there engress, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on gun cabinet wood working plan I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for gun cabinet wood working plan. Should the need ever arise where you need information on gun cabinet wood working plan then drop by for a look.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home