Wiccan Ceremony - Magic - and where it all started.

Discussions into the history as well as the ceremonies involved in the practice of wiccan magic!

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Celebrating the Wiccan holiday - Yule (Winter Solstice)

December 21 - Winter Solstice - Yule

The sun is at its nadir, the year's longest night. We internalize and synthesize the outward-directed activities of the previous summer months. Some covens hold a Festival of Light to commemorate the Goddess as Mother giving birth to the Sun God. Others celebrate the victory of the Lord of Light over the Lord of Darkness as the turning point from which the days will lengthen. The name "Yule" derives from the Norse word for "wheel", and many of our customs (like those of the Christian holiday) derive from Norse and Celtic Pagan practices (the Yule log, the tree, the custom of Wassailing, et al).

There`s just something magical about the Yuletide season, no matter where you live or who you are. As bright candlelight mingles with the smells of pine & warm cookies & we perform our yearly rituals of song & family gatherings, the spirit of peace & goodwill seems to reach the heart of even the most cynical Scrooge. In Yule, the author presents a wonderful potpourri of holiday lore from around the world & throughout history, along with fun crafts, delicious recipes -- even a calendar of celebrations for every day in December. Learn where the traditions of the season originated -- for instance, did you know that the ringing of bells was meant to drive away the demons who inhabited the darkest days of the year? That leaving cookies for Santa mirrors the old tradition of leaving a loaf of bread on the table overnight to bring prosperity in the new year? That the Yule log can be traced back to the ancient Greeks? Need a recipe for wassail or plumb pudding? Tips for your holiday party? Want to make the season special by making your own decorative crafts & gifts? Thats just a sampling of what`s inside. Best of all, this book shows that the spirit of the season is universal. However we choose to celebrate & worship, we can all join together in the spirit of peace, love & harmony at this special time of the year.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Goal Man said…

    I’ve been blog surfing today looking for information on business goal setting, and sometimes just a word or phrase is all it takes to spark my imagination and enable
    me to add more free stuff to my website.

    Thanks, I found a little nugget one on your blog that got me “sparkly”.

    There’s a ton of information on goal setting on just “normal” bloggers blogs that is very useful in my research and I hope to add more free information to my web site with the tidbits I find in blogs, and am writing another eBook with input from bloggers based on the research I’m doing just by blog surfing.

    You’d be surprised at the depth of information out there from people who are not selling or marketing anything remotely regarding business goal setting and goal setting.

    Have a great day! And thanks again for the "nugget"!

     
  • At 4:25 AM, Blogger Goal Man said…

    Have you ever seriously gone blog surfing? I mean for hours, days even.

    I’ve spent the past few days surfing specific keywords like and
    have found dozens of new pieces of related goal setting information I’ve not seen or written about anywhere, and voila, your blog popped up for this specific keyword search.

    Sometimes I get unrelated blogs, and others it’s right on. So much for the blog search engines.

    Anyway, I’m trying to find and add relevant information to my web site that no one else has published or commented on. It looks like you might know a lot about goal setting so you can appreciate how difficult it is to find new stuff.

    It’s amazing how a simple word or phrase like can help your imagination, and I found such a word on your blog that will be very helpful, which is why I’m leaving a comment…

    …to say thank you. You’ve helped a stranger without even knowing it, in a way
    you’d never guess.

    Thanks again!

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger Goal Man said…

    Have you ever seriously gone blog surfing? I mean for hours, days even.

    I’ve spent the past few days surfing specific keywords like effective goal setting and
    have found dozens of new pieces of related goal setting information I’ve not seen or written about anywhere, and voila, your blog popped up for this specific keyword search.

    Sometimes I get unrelated blogs, and others it’s right on. So much for the blog search engines.

    Anyway, I’m trying to find and add relevant information to my web site that no one else has published or commented on. It looks like you might know a lot about goal setting so you can appreciate how difficult it is to find new stuff.

    It’s amazing how a simple word or phrase like effective goal setting can help your imagination, and I found such a word on your blog that will be very helpful, which is why I’m leaving a comment…

    …to say thank you. You’ve helped a stranger without even knowing it, in a way
    you’d never guess.

    Thanks again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home